Re: songbooks with guitar tablature

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: songbooks with guitar tablature
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 22:59:22 +0200

2007/8/23, Jack Cooper <address@hidden>:
> While OpenOffice isn't technically a freeware version of Microsoft Office,
> I don't know how else to describe it to folks who have never heard of it
> or used it.  And since I wrote these intro notes, I am more inclined
> to use GIMP for image editing and Scribus for general layout.  The
> general point I was hoping to convey to someone is that it doesn't
> require hundreds of dollars investment in software to produce professional
> looking songbooks, thanks to lilypond.

Absolutely! As for the way you describe OpenOffice, maybe using
"equivalent" instead of "version" would be more convenient and just as
self-explanatory. But it's just one word :)

> I have a specfic market I am trying to interest in having songbooks
> created, and I will have a better idea over the next couple of months
> the level of interest within that market.

When you do, feel free to keep the community informed: it's always
extremely interesting when open-source projects manage to reach the
commercial market.

> Making the source files files available is a very good idea but it
> provides a bit of a conundrum.  Here's an example using a project
> I am currently involved with creating a collection of notated traditional
> fiddle songs.  The person who I am doing the notation for has decided,
> after I've gotten halfway throught the set of tunes, that compensation
> for my time is too expensive and if I could just spend an hour teaching
> how to use the package, he could learn to do it himself.  Fair
> enough.

You can very well, in the future, wait until the job is done (and
until you get paid) to release the source code. This is what I would
probably do.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Regards,
Valentin