Re: Offsetting a turn horizontally

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Offsetting a turn horizontally
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:13:02 +0200

Am Montag, 8. Oktober 2007 schrieben Sie:
> Quoting Joseph Wakeling <address@hidden>:
> > It doesn't work absolutely perfectly because the skips do not contribute
> > to the musical spacing---you can see the difference if instead of s4 you
> > write e.g. d4.  Is there an option to make skips count towards the
> > layout?
>
> Exactly what do you mean. The spacing should be the same as if the turn
> was appeared over a true note at the same position in the bar. Try
> replacing the "s" by a pitch to see this.

What he wants is that the turn at the second beat is above the note from the
first beat. In particular, compare the two lines in the following snippet:

\relative c' {
c4.(\p e8 g c d \setTextCresc e)\<
\once \override Script #'extra-offset = #'(2.5 . 0) a'2(\!\turn g4 f) \break
c,4.(\p e8 g c d \setTextCresc e)\<
<< {a'2(\!} {s4 s4\turn} >> g4 f)
}

In the first one, the turn is really high up (above the a) but not at the
second beat, while in the second line it is positioned correctly at the
second beat, but way below the note it should belong to.

The solutino that I can think of is to use a hidden note instead of a skip...

Cheers,
Reinhold