Re: pitches second draft

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: pitches second draft
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:10:15 -0700

Trevor Daniels wrote:
1. Sharps and flats are used in an example shown in Relative
octaves entry and in the text above it before they have been
mentioned anywhere.  To an English speaker is and es are
incomprehansible at first sight.  Even in the LM they are
used in 2.2.1 before the explanation in 2.2.2.  I know the
Notation Reference is not meant to be read sequentially, but
it will be.  Perhaps they should be introduced (as briefly
as you like) in the first section on Absolute octave entry.

Good catch about the tutorial!  I've added this to the list.

As far as the user manual goes, I disagree. We need to assume that users have read the learning manual. If they have not, then we officially do not care about those users. That is one of the basic policy decisions that I made about GDP. One of the problems in the previous docs was that I tried to make the user manual sequential. That leads to too many oddities.

2. At the bottom of Accidentals there is a cryptic comment
about microtones and MIDI.  As neither micro tones nor MIDI
have been mentioned so far this seems misplaced.

In the example immediately preceding that sentence:

     \set Staff.extraNatural = ##f
     ceseh ceh cih cisih

3. The note names table in other languages is poorly
formatted (at least in html).

What's poorly formatted about it? The table is a bit too wide; is that what you mean?

Cheers,
- Graham