Re: User survey?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: User survey?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 08:14:39 -0800

Eyolf Østrem wrote:
I was wondering: has there ever been a user survey for Lilypond users? What
made me think about this is the current work on the documentation,

I can't see this being useful for the doc work. We've already reduced the scope of GDP fourfold. At the current level of participation, we might not even meet the vastly reduced goals I set for the end of 2007. (1 section per week? that seems optimistic to me, given that we've only really covered two sections so far)

I detest discussion potential new features if there's absolutely no hope of their being implemented -- either on the programming side, or on the doc side. There was recently a proposal to create a mini "online tutorial" for the lilypond application -- something that would walk through users compiling and viewing their first score. Sure, that would be useful... and would simplify the doc tutorial. But we don't have the programming resources, so any further discussion is a waste of time.

I take a similar view on the docs. It's not like we're sitting around waiting for something to do; there's a huge set of TODOs on the GDP site.

Cheers,
- Graham