Re: How do you pronounce "LilyPond"?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: How do you pronounce "LilyPond"?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:55:30 +0000 (UTC)

Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos <miguel <at> anjos.strangled.net> writes:

> > From: "Valentin Villenave" <v.villenave <at> gmail.com>
> >
> [...]
> >
> > A few days ago, I was wondering how the "LilyPond" name is supposed to
> > be pronounced, and I've just seen that Francisco has the same problem.
> > For example, do you guys pronounce the "i" as in "life" or as in
> > "kill"?
>
> In any case, it is never [ai] nor [i:] (long "i" as in "sheet"). For us,
> speakers of latin languages, we must close the "i" (close the eye
> a little bit, because our "i"s sound to english speakers a bit like [i:].

This native American English speaker pronounces the "i" as in "kill" and the "y"
as in "Sheet", although it's not quite stressed as much.

Given Miguel's options, I'd code my pronunciation as [lili:}.

Given what I know of French pronunciation, I'd pronounce the "y" like the "i" in
"lit" or "Lisette".  And as I mentioned before, the "i" is like the English
"kill"; I can't think of a French word with the same pronunciation.

Carl Sorensen