Re: Converting .midi to .ly (midi2ly.py)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Converting .midi to .ly (midi2ly.py)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:23:03 +0100

Felix Hekhorn wrote:

Well i just started from the very beginning - i unistalled Python + LilyPond
then i installed LilyPond again - selecting theLilyPond-Python
(i did it again to C:/Programme/ - it is the most handy directory and
(unfortunately) i trust on Windows )
then i put my file to C:/
and here is the whole error-message i get:
"C:\Programme\LilyPond\usr\bin>midi2ly c:/pirate_medley.mid -V
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "C:\Programme\LilyPond\usr\bin\midi2ly.py", line 996, in ?
  main()
 File "C:\Programme\LilyPond\usr\bin\midi2ly.py", line 994, in main
  convert_midi (f, o)
 File "C:\Programme\LilyPond\usr\bin\midi2ly.py", line 834, in convert_midi
  for (dur, num, den) in global_options.allowed_tuplets:
SystemError: /home/lilydev/vc/gub/target/mingw/src/python-2.4.2/Objects/listobje
ct.c:243: bad argument to internal function"
i can't understand why !?

The good news is that you have solved your initial Python related problems.
Still, I don't understand why you keep changing directory to the LilyPond bin\
folder. All the LilyPond programs should be available from any folder.

The bad news is that this seems to be some Windows related bug. In Linux, I
can run midi2ly on your MIDI file without any problems, but in Windows I
get exactly the same error message as you do. Strangely enough, it works well
for some MIDI files but not for others. I did some quick experimenting with
the midi2ly script and my conclusion is that the error message is misleading
and the actual error is something completely different. Apparently the same
bug has been reported already more than a year ago, but since it only shows up for certain MIDI files and only on Windows (which is hard to debug since all
the development is done in Linux), nobody has spent any time on it.

However, even if you managed to run midi2ly, I'm not sure you would be
very happy with the resulting .ly file and printout. I attach the resulting output for your file and as you can see, midi2ly has problems to interpret the rhythm
in the MIDI file and will probably only work reasonably well for MIDI files
produced by other typesetting programs (if that program doesn't make too
much efforts to make the MIDI sound musical, that is). Search the mailing
lists for related discussions on the limitations of midi2ly. Most people who have tried midi2ly have soon realized that it's just as quick to enter the music directly into the .ly file, especially since you normally spend just as much time
adding articulations and such, as the actual pitches and durations. This is
another main reason that there hasn't been any active development of midi2ly
for several years.

In the attached file, I used the flag --duration-quant=32 to somewhat improve
the situation, but it doesn't help so much.

  /Mats

and another point is:
another user answered on my question and i send him the file;
but he was also unable to convert it!
- i start thinking maybe it's a mistake in the Script itself
but as i said, i can only guess how python works

can you do me a favour? Please try to convert the file on your system - Thank
You

Mfg Felix Hekhorn

Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 3 Monate

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology