Re: OS X 10.5 SDK

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: OS X 10.5 SDK
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:15:12 +0100

On 18 Dec 2007, at 13:12, Maurits Lamers wrote:

As mentioned in a previous message, I tried to compile things with ---static, but that didn't do anything. Providing a symbolic link to the dylib that is called doesn't do the trick, the error message stays the same.

Immanuel Litzroth wrote on the list about a way to nudge guile into using the .dylib extenstion instead of the .so when searching for libraries. To me this seems the most promising, especially with the future in mind.

The best way is to read on the Apple Developer Connection site:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/ DynamicLibraries/ There are special ways to create and call dynamic libraries. They can be called for in the compilation process or called at runtime. If you call for it in the compilation process, the dynamic library must be present when the program runs. If you call it at runtime, then the functions used (I think) have the same names dlsym, dladdr, dlclose, and dlerror on both Mac OS X and GNU/Linux OS, only that the former uses the file name ending ".dylib" and the latter ".so". The source code should have a "#include <dlfcn.h>" in it"; see this header - can be opened in Xcode using <cmd>-D. The library formats are different, so one can't compile it on GNU/Linux OS and use the binary object code on Mac OS X. When making Guile into a Mac OS dynamic library, in addition to compile it right, it should have the file name ending .dylib.

  Hans Ã…berg