Re: Percussion Discussion

From: Bryan Stanbridge
Subject: Re: Percussion Discussion
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:36:55 -0500

Reilly wrote:
What is the experience in the Lilypond community regarding percussion notation?
<snip>
I am asking for comments regarding consistency and clarity in writing for unpitched percussion.

I highly recommend the following two resources when it comes to percussion writing:

How to Write for Percussion by Sam Solomon (available on Amazon.com).
-> This book goes into detail about the different sounds of percussion instruments, etc, but spends some time discussing how each should be notated.

I also firmly believe that if everyone adopted Vaclav Nehlybel's system for percussion notation, the world would be a better place. Unfortunately I can't find where I found this resource (mine's a copy with no attribution). If you can find it, though, it's great.

Cheers,
Bryan...
Percussion performer and educator
Bowling Green State University