Re: Printing music parts and scores

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: Printing music parts and scores
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:03:31 +0100 (CET)

address@hidden:
> On Thursday, January 3, 2008, at 09:10  AM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> >> What have you used to print your music for parts and scores?
> >
> > Years ago, I purchased a laser printer which would handle full-bleed,
> > 11x17, heavy stock...
>
> This is a great suggestion. I cannot avail myself now, but I can see
> how hi-res large format printer would solve most of my short run
> printing problems down the road.

A duplex A3 printer (or similar) is really your best friend.
(And a good cutter and stapler, works up to 60pages for me)

> Which leaves, Problem #3:
>
> (3) PAPER? What do you do for paper? Specifically: do you print onto
> heavy 9x12 (9.5x12; 10X13) paper for orchestral parts? (Or, 18X12 inch
> paper for two page folded orchestral parts?) Photocopy paper and 8.5x11
> sizes doesn't cut it. Maybe big city Kinko's stock speciality paper,
> but I am going to have to order paper cut to my specifications. What
> about full size conductor's scores? Do you print onto 11x17 heavy
> weight paper? Do you spiral bind the score?
>
> I have a big project which requires 6 copies of the score and a
> complete set of orchestral parts (49 parts). This is my biggest project
> to date and I am finding that the *quality* is in the details (which is
> why I am engraving in Lilypond!). So any help with details is much
> appreciated!

I use ordinary copypaper (80g/m2), but if you foldstaple them you might
need to reinforce the "middle" paper at the staple. I would like thinner
paper thought (Choral scores).

For cover I use thick stock. Mine is 225g/m2.

Regards,
/Karl