Re: signed trills/trillspan to barline

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: signed trills/trillspan to barline
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:26:23 +0100

Since you know that the code example you found was intended for an older
version of LilyPond, you should always use convert-ly to update it to the
current syntax. If you do that on your file below (with a \version statement
that matches the version the solution originally was intended for), you will
among others see a printout saying:

Not smart enough to convert edge-text settings for TextSpanner.Use

       \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'text = <right-text>
       \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = <left-text>

Even though you have a TrillSpanner and not a TextSpanner, the same
principle applies here, so you should replace the setting of edge-text with
   \override TrillSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text =
   #(markup #:line (#:halign -0.5 #:musicglyph "scripts.trill" #:teeny
#:raise 0.5 #:flat))

However, with this new syntax, there's no longer any need for the Scheme
syntax for the markup and you can simplify it somewhat further. For example
the following alternative looks reasonably well as far as I can see.

   \override TrillSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text =
   \markup{ \vcenter \musicglyph #"scripts.trill" \vcenter \teeny \flat }

   /Mats

Ruth Roland wrote:
Hi,
There have been various posts regarding putting an accidental above a trill. Does anyone have an idea why this example doesn't work? I'm not even getting an
error message.  I can't find newer code online.  Also, is there a way to extend
the trillspan all the way to the barline?  I found a post with this question,
but no answer.
Thanks, Ruth

\version "2.11.28"

global= {
           \key d \minor
                        \time 6/8
}
violinOne = \new Voice { \relative { a''2.~\startTrillSpan a2.~ a2.~ a2.\stopTrillSpan \override TrillSpanner #'edge-text = #(cons (markup #:line (#:halign -0.5 #:musicglyph "scripts.trill" #:teeny
#:raise 0.5 #:flat)) "")
        g2.\startTrillSpan g4.\stopTrillSpan a d a4.\trill a4~( a16 b32 cis) d4.
}}
         \score {
                \new Staff << \global \violinOne >>

        Mats Bengtsson