Re: Turn

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Turn
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:25:10 +0100

The trick is to include them all in one and the same \markup command,
using \column or \center to stack them on top of each other. Also, you
will have to use the \music-glyph markup command to access the turn.
See section "Overview of text markup commands" for the details.

  /Mats

Renato wrote:
Hi all
I am trying to copy the famous Nocturne N. 2 Op. 9 by Chopin, but am getting crazy to make this figure:
http://xrl.us/beqd4
3d bar: the turn upon the c8 note.
I've been trying all possible configurations of code like this:

 \once \override TextScript #'script-priority = #-100
c8^\turn^\markup { \flat }^\markup { \flat }^\markup { \natural }^\markup{\finger"12121"}

or

\once \override Script #'script-priority = #-100
c8^\turn^\markup { \flat }^\markup { \flat }^\markup { \natural }^\markup{\finger"12121"}

Changing the order of various components didnt help, the turn goes either on top or on bottom, but nevere between flat and natural signs, I've also tried crating a double voice with a s8 and dividing signs: it didnt work

I am using this now:
\once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'( -1.5 . -3.2 )
c8^\turn^\markup{\finger"12121"}
(The override is needed because fingering is not centered)

this is a regular turn without flat and natural signs, but the one in Chopin's piece requires that the note before a turn is a b, and not a bflat as it would be the case on a normal turn, I guess this is called a "chromatic turn" but I am not sure.

If there is a different more modern way to draw a "chromatic turn", it's OK, I dont want to create an exact replica of the original source, I just want to create a good modern version.

Moreover: is there a way to draw a little slur on the fingering (12121) like in the original?

Thanks and Bye
Renato
http://www.nightpassage.org <http://www.nightpassage.org/>

        Mats Bengtsson