Slur in wrong place: rests too high: adjust stave separation for just on

From: Frederick Dennis
Subject: Slur in wrong place: rests too high: adjust stave separation for just one system
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 21:36:34 +0100

Dear All,
I'm using version 2.10.33
In the following extract, the slur from b to a is too high. Is there a
remedy for this? Also, why are the quaver rests so high? Do I have
to write c8\rest or something for each one? I started doing this but
this caused unexpected changes elsewhere so I gave up. Last question:
I'm fine getting the dynamics between the piano staves. Centered is
not really the right word as if a chord is on many leger lines, the dynamic
has to be lower down. However, when there are no dynamics or leger lines,
is it possible to bring the piano staves closer together for just one system,
or do you have to set this distance for the entire score?
I have looked at the docs but may have missed something.
Thank you for your attention.

\relative c'
<<
{ r8 <d b' d> r8 d'~ d16( c a g) \bar "||" } \\