Re: String syntax, Was: substitution with \movement

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: String syntax, Was: substitution with \movement
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 00:10:56 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:57:00 +0200
Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:

Rewriting the parser for such a trivial thing would be a waste of
resources.  Just get used to typing #, just like {} or ,' or any
other piece of lilypond input.  The docs are supposed to use #""
all the time, to reinforce this point.

Do you really mean "all the time", i.e. even in situations like

\new Voice = "one" { ... } ...
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" { ... }

All the time that it's getting passed as a scheme value, for
example
 \set instrumentName = #"cello"

Not for things like
 \markup { this "is some quoted text" }
Which brings us back to the original problem, namely the
inconsistency of the syntax. Even with my 11 years of
LilyPond experience, I have to think both once or twice
to figure out in what syntactical constructs a string is
a Scheme value and when it's not (I'm not even convinced
that it ever can be anything else than a Scheme value,
without checking in the source code). I know the issue
has been discussed before and I don't think it's a big
problem, but it's still an annoyance.

   /Mats

   /Mats