Re: GDP: first draft of NR 1.5 Simultaneous

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP: first draft of NR 1.5 Simultaneous
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:01:20 +0200

A few comments:

- "Parallel notes" only talks about parallel notes within a single Voice context. Where in the NR would one find a general description of the use of <<...>> to put things in parallel? It's certainly described in the LM, but should be somewhere also in the NR for completeness. If it is, then the question is if the current "Parallel notes" gets redundant (it's just a special case).

- Similarly, in 1.5.2, shouldn't there be a description of the <<{...} \\ {...} >> construct? Also, the \voiceOne ... \voiceFour macros are just listed but not described.

- Do we have a bug report for the failing collision resolution in the second measure of the
 examples in "Collision resolution"?

- The description of the snippet "Additional voices to avoid collisions" could be clarified to say "If more than four parallel voices are needed, additional voices are added by ..."

- Typo in "Voice styles": "Lerning Manual" -> "Learning Manual"

- What's really the purpose of the predefined voice styles? I can understand that they are useful for some illustrations in the manual, and probably were introduced for that reason, but I don't really see that these arbitrarily defined styles have much interest for other users, except
 possibly as examples of how such styles can be defined by yourself.
At least, it should be clarified that they are arbitrarily defined. Since there are four predefined
 styles, shouldn't the example show all four of them?

- Is it because of a limitation in the abilities of the \parallelMusic function that the example in "Writing music in parallel" doesn't include all the notes that J.S. Bach wrote in these measures?
 (Perhaps it's just to avoid making the example looking too complicated).

   /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:
I'm proud to announce the first draft of NR 1.5 Simultaneous!
This is the third section of the NR to reach this stage; many
thanks to Francisco for his hard work on this section.

Please proofread this section carefully.  Let us know about any
omissions or anything that's unclear.  If you like working from
paper, print it out and proofread it at your leisure -- sitting on
the couch, waiting for a bus, or during orchestra rehearsal if
you're a brass player.

In addition, please look at the Snippet List (SL) for
Simultaneous.  If you know of any snippets that you think should
be on this list but aren't, let us know!

As always, GDP website is here:
http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/

go to "output" -> NR.  You can view it in HTML or PDF.

Cheers,
- Graham

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing