Re: Absolute vs. relative pitches

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Absolute vs. relative pitches
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:53:10 +0200

2008/8/13 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:
> This is a neat technique if the notes lie largely
> in the same octave, but \transpose is not introduced
> in the Learning Manual, so it can't be used there
> without adding a fairly detailed section explaining
> it first.
>
> Perhaps it could be mentioned in the Notation Reference
> though.
>
> The Learning Manual is for learning users.  They will
> usually begin with a simple melody and relative mode
> -is- easier for this, once you realize all you have to
> do is count staff spaces.

Counting staff spaces costs much brain power in melodies with big
intervals (i.e. intervals bigger than a third).

IMNSHO we *must* discuss absolute vs. relative pitches with usage
cases in the Learning Manual.  This is probably too early to do this
in chapter 3 "Fundamental concepts" (although I intend to prepare the
mind of the reader with a correction I added recently ;-), but this
could be done in chapter 5 "Working with LilyPond files".  Trevor, I
put this on my TODO for after 2.12, unless you have any objection.

Cheers,
John