Re: string number problem

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: string number problem
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:34:33 -0700

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 06:26:58 -0500
Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden> wrote:

> What's weird about this "avoid-slur" warning is that in this example,
> the slur is nowhere near anything that needs to be avoided. The slur
> is on one side, the fingering/string indications on the other.  And
> when I added something that would possibly interfere with the slur
> (an accent), it doesn't complain about that, but about something
> else.  Why would Lilypond complain about needing to avoid anything?

Because the relevant Script in some file like scm/scripts.scm
doesn't have an avoid-slur setting.

We discussed this... oh, maybe 18 months ago.  Han-Wen told me
exactly how to fix it.  It would have taken me about an hour of
relatively boring work, so I asked for a volunteer -- all that you
need to do is copy a line that looks something like this:
        (avoid-slur . outside)
into ever portion of the file that doesn't already have an
(avoid-slur...) definition.

Nobody offered to do this trivial task, so now a new user has
spent a few hours of frustration with the docs+mailst, and you and
I have spent at least half an hour looking into it and writing
emails.

This is the kind of thing that drives me absolutely crazy.
There's so much duplication of effort, and answering emails is
almost guaranteed *not* to fix the initial problem.  (whether the
problem is in the code or the docs)

Cheers,
- Graham