Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems

From: Patrick Horgan
Subject: Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:25:21 -0700

Gilles Sadowski wrote:
3. Using the lilypond program (on Linux) amounts to learn the following 2
   commands:
    $ lilypond myfyle.ly
    $ xpdf myfile.pdf
   That certainly should not scare away people motivated by the nice printed
   scores which this software produces. [Of course, assuming that people
   know what a file is, how to edit its contents and what a command is.]
Here's one of the amusing things about linux. If I were a beginning linux user trying to figure this out, I'd be panicking after reading this, because my distribution install evince by default for this sort of thing, not xpdf. I'd be going nuts trying to figure out how to get it! Of course as an experienced linux user I find it's available in my distribution and try it...it's pretty cool! The one thing it doesn't do that I do with evince a lot is use a wild card to look at several pdfs in the same directory. It gives me a usage comment when I try that. It also doesn't do postscript files.

Patrick