Re: notation TAB matching

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: notation TAB matching
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 01:00:16 +0200

Grammostola Rosea wrote:

1) You see the last two low a's (a,) doesn't have an tie. I like to have one between them. I can't connect them with ~ cause there are other notes between the two a's (e.g. gis and b). ...
Ok, I think I solved problem 1 for 90%
a,8~<a, cis'>4. a,4 (<gis b>8 ~ <a, gis b>4) a,

You have chosen to use a slur to join the two low "a"s. Here are some comments on what remains unsolved (10%?):

In the upper staff this slur "looks" like a tie; it goes horizontally. But in the lower staff it is obviously not a tie; it climbs up and over.
In midi output you will hear the attack at the start of the second "a".
These two "a"s are separated by an eighth (during the first <gis b>). Did you rather want them to abut?

A 100% solution (?):
Lilypond does in fact let you tie the two low "a"s in this particular case. Reread the documentation for ties, looking for "tieWaitForNote". This can be applied as follows: a,8~<a, cis'>4. \set tieWaitForNote = ##t a,4 ~ <gis b>8 ~ <a, gis b>4 \set tieWaitForNote = ##f a, - the slur has been removed - the curve in the lower staff is now horizontal (because it is a true tie) - the gap of an eighth is bridged.

Cheers,
Robin