overlaying as a tool for annotating entry points in orchestral parts (wa

From: Daryna Baikadamova
Subject: overlaying as a tool for annotating entry points in orchestral parts (was Re: tempo for both conductor's score and parts)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:14:32 +1200

Thanks again for the example you gave for overlaying the bar and tempo settings.

Now I dream up another application:  For orchestral parts with long multi-bar rests, it is often difficult for the player to count exactly when the rests end.  So would it be possible to include a small section of the main melody immediate before the instrument resumes as small notes in an overlay part to hint the player?  This is often done in commercial scores and in this way, these small notes will not get into the way of the conductor's score.

Or are there better ways to achieve this purpose?  In either way, would you please give us a small example illustrating this function?  I am only an novice typesetter.

Daryna