Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:20:08 +0200

Am Sonntag, 14. September 2008 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
> Looks good so far, but I'd suggest to make the underlining of links a
> bit less annoying, esp. in the navigation frame where there are lots
> of them.
> Something like:
>
> a {
>       text-decoration: none;
>       border-bottom: 1px dotted #be6;

No, please don't to this! Most decent browsers let you switch off
link-underlining altogether. This CSS setting will force dotted underlining
on EVERY user, even if he switched off underlining completely!

Furthermore this setting also applies also to anchors of the type <a
name=....>some text</a>, which should never be underlined...

To change links, you need to use a:link, anyway.

> a:hover {
>       /*
>       change the text color like you do
>       hide the underlining/border if you wish, I'd rather not
>       */

I would remove underlining, because the differen color of links

> Regarding the tables, e.g. "Note names in other languages":

This table seems to have problems with texi2html anyway: Lots of spurious
spaces and line breaks are inserted, because all table entries are converted
to a <pre class="smallexample">[space]text[space_or_linebreak]</pre>

makeinfo --html converted the texinfo construct
@smallexample
@multitable ...
@end multitable
@end smallexample

<pre class="smallexample">
</pre>

while texi2html (wrongly?) converts it to

I think this is wrong and I'll send this to the texi2html author.

> I'd suggest
>
> th, td {
>       vertical-align: top;
>       text-align: left;
>       border-bottom: 1px solid #be6;
> }

Ideally all columns except the first would be centered, but I don't know if
that can be done with texinfo at all...

Cheers,
Reinhold