Removing bundled LilyPond

From: notesetter
Subject: Removing bundled LilyPond
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 06:09:25 -0700 (PDT)

I'd like to remove LilyPond 2.10.33, which came bundled with Ubuntu Studio
8.04 and then install 2.11.59. I ran the install shell script and 2.11.59
installed in my home directory fine. However, when I go to use it, the
'lilypond' command still invokes version 2.10.33. I started to remove the
old version through synaptic, but it also tries to remove other packages
that I want to keep like rosegarden and some others that I think I shouldn't
remove.

This appears to present me 3 options:

1) Install 2.11.59 via shell script and alter my system so that the command
'lilypond' points to the new installation in my home directory.

2) Uninstall the packages lilypond, rosegarden, ubuntu-studio audio and the
others it synaptic says I have to remove if I remove LilyPond so that I may
install and use 2.11.59.

3) Continue to use version 2.10.33.

The first option seems workable, if there's a way to do it. The latter two
options are really not viable, since I may want to use Rosegarden in the
future and I would like to take advantage of the newer version of LilyPond.
Are there other options that I'm missing? Is there a more "correct" way to
go about this?

Also, someone on the Ubuntu Studio user list mentioned making a .deb package
for LilyPond that would presumably solve this problem. I've also asked about
that in the past on this forum. It would be convenient if one could install
LilyPond through a package manager like a lot of other Debian/Ubuntu
applications. If I have the time (and I think I do), I would be willing to
learn to do this work myself, provided it's within my limited (but hopefully
expaning) scope. I would probably only commit to making a package for stable
releases though.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Thanks,

Dave

-----
David Stocker