Re: Does lilypond takes advantage of multi-cores on windows?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Does lilypond takes advantage of multi-cores on windows?
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 21:33:35 +0200

On 2008/10/03 11:14 -0700, sdfgsdhdshd wrote:
> Anthony Boyd-2 wrote:
> >> -djob-count=[number of cores]
> >
> > I don't think that job count changes things when you process a single
> > input file though.  If you specify multiple input files to process
> > then lilypond will fork off into different jobs to get the work done.
> >

> Are the new processes only on one processor? or several?

It's up to the operating system kernel to spread the load on all CPUs
(or CPU cores); e.g. if you run "lilypond -djob-count=2" and you have no
other processor time-consuming tasks at the same time (if this can ever
happen on Vista :-P) on a dual core CPU, the kernel should spread each
lilypond process on one different core.  The reality may be a bit more
complex, but this is roughly the principle.

It may be possible to parallelize some portions of LilyPond code to take
advantage of multi-core machines, which gradually become quite common,
I'm tempted to have a look at it in the next months, but don't hold your
breath :-)

Cheers,
John