Re: Has anyone had success including lilypond generated EPS files into g

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Has anyone had success including lilypond generated EPS files into groff?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:04:21 +0100 (CET)

> As an experiment, I wanted to create a simple troff document that
> would include the EPS output from lilypond.  [...]
>
> I use the following command to make the test.eps file:
>
>      lilypond -dbackend=eps \
>               -dno-gs-load-fonts \
>               -dinclude-eps-fonts
>               test.ly
>
> When I try to run groff (version 1.19.2) on my troff file, I get the
> following 2 messages:
>
>      grops:test.eps:16: unknown resource type
>      grops:test.eps:17: unknown resource type

Speaking as the groff maintainer:

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  The fonts are embedded as CFFs,
using PostScript LevelĀ 3 features: the `FontSetInit' procedure and
`FontSet' resource.  Currently, grops doesn't understand this.  Maybe
I'm going to add this, but I can't promise any time frame.

A workaround is to use

  lilypond test.ly

then calling

  eps2eps test.ps test.eps

to get an EPS file accepted by grops (and thus groff).
High-resolution printing is just fine if you do it like this, but text
embedded in the EPS is converted to outlines, thus all PS hints are
lost, makeing online viewing not optimal.

    Werner