Using \lyricsto with \partcombine

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Using \lyricsto with \partcombine
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:19:54 -0700

Dear LilyPond users,

I figured out a method of setting four-voice music in a single staff, using
partcombine.

The key issue was to add a separate hidden voice that wouldn't interfere
with any of the visible voices, and use that for the \lyricsto.

Code is shown below:

%%%% Begin pastable code

\version "2.11.64"

sopranoNotes = \relative c' {f4 g a b}

altoNotes = \relative c' {d4 g f g}

tenorNotes = \relative c {f4 g a b}

bassNotes = \relative c {d4 g f g}

<<
  \new Staff {
    <<
      \new Voice = "combined" {
        \partcombine \sopranoNotes \altoNotes
      }
      \new Voice = "hidden" {
        \hideNotes
        \shiftOnn
        \transpose c' c'' { \sopranoNotes }
      }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "hidden" \lyricmode { One Two Three Four }

  }
  \new Staff {
     \clef bass
     \partcombine \tenorNotes \bassNotes
  }

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    printPartCombineTexts = ##f

%%% End pastable code

This has given me what I want.  I hope somebody else will find it useful.

Carl
~