Special characters (umlauts, accents, etc) in lyrics

From: Tim Slattery
Subject: Special characters (umlauts, accents, etc) in lyrics
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:15:11 -0500

I'm setting a song with German lyrics. Several places there are
umlauts over a and u, and the German double-s character that looks
like a Greek "beta".

I found these things in Vista's CharacterMap, and pasted them into my
input file. They showed just fine there. But when I ran I got hordes
of messages about them. In the PDF output, there were blanks where
these characters should have been.

So how can I get Lilypond to use these characters?

--
Tim Slattery
address@hidden