Re: Repeats and midi blocks

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: Repeats and midi blocks
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:40:57 +0000

Apologies to the list if this comes in twice, I'm replying using gmane newsgroup in Thunderbird for the first time :-) .

Graham Percival wrote:

<snip>
It depends on why you're listening to the piece.  I *do* want to
hear it clunking along, since I only ever listen to midi as a
quick "proofread" (ie any missed accidentals will sound very
obviously bad).  In that case, I don't need to listen to repeats
multiple times.

I take a bit more extreme view on this one. If the composer/arranger puts the repeats in a hand-written score, it's designed to be heard that way. That's why if we're rehearsing something with the flute quartet for the first time we always play it exactly as written on the first sight-read: if it's too late at night to do it properly then put off looking at it till next rehearsal. Similarly I feel the midi output should give as close a rendition of the written piece as possible. I know midi ouput has severe drawbacks but I find it useful to as a 'prooflisten' as I find it difficult to hear the whole ensemble sound (as opposed to individual instrument timbres) in my head when I'm producing a piece with Lily. If you *really* need to abbreviate the output, use the << and >> keys on your playback app, but lily's midi output should give you the option of hearing the whole piece as the notation intended..
Cheers,
- Graham

Cheers Ian