Re: horizontally centering denominator in compound time signatures

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: horizontally centering denominator in compound time signatures
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 07:07:39 -0800

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:41:46AM +0100, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Now, in my first step, I'm implementing the display of (1+2+3)/8 fractions.
> My
> only problem with this is that with the methods shown in the LSR snippets the
> 8 is always left-aligned and not centered between the 1+2+3. How can I do
> this?

You're going to kick yourself for this... :)

s/make-column-markup/make-center-column-markup

Now that said, this causes the 1+2+3 to collide with the clef.
I'm not certain why, but you can probably work around it by
setting X-offset manually.

Incidentally, I still prefer my version:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-10/msg00681.html
since the markup is constructed in close-to-normal lilypond markup
language.  It would be fairly simply to change that function to
use a centered column and no parentheses.

Incidentally*2, I think there's enough interest in compound time
signatures that we should add it to the main lilypond.  There's a
lot of different styles (just compare yours with mine!), though,
so we'd need a #'style property to pick the desired one.  I'm not
certain how to go about doing that.

Cheers,
- Graham