Re: printing individual parts from a multistaff score

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: printing individual parts from a multistaff score
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 20:48:07 -0500

A better way to approach this is to write a separate file for each of the parts, and then use \include to assemble the conductor's score. In fact, I even do my individual parts this way by saving just the notes in separate files and then using \include to recall those files in the parts. For example, I'll make two files, named gtrOneNotes.ly and gtrTwoNotes.ly. These contain *only* the notes for Gtrs. one and two respectively, defined as variables like this:

gtrOneNotes = { ...all of the notes for the Guitar I part... }

Then I structure my parts and score like this:

%%% begin Guitar I part

\version "2.11.62"

\include "gtrOneNotes.ly"

\score {
   \new Staff = "guitar I" {
      \set Staff.instrumentName = "Guitar I"
      \clef "treble_8"
      \key c \major
      \time 4/4

      \gtrOneNotes

%%% end Guitar I part

and for the score:

%%% begin score of Guitar Duet

\version "2.11.62

\include "gtrOneNotes.ly"

\include "gtrTwoNotes.ly"

\score {
 <<
   \context StaffGroup <<
     \new Staff = "Guitar I" {
       \set Staff.instrumentName = "Guitar I"
       \clef "treble_8"
       \time 4/4
\gtrOneNotes
     }

     \new Staff = "Guitar II" {
       \set Staff.instrumentName = "Guitar II"
       \clef "treble_8"
       \time 4/4

       \gtrTwoNotes

%%% end score of Guitar Duet

This allows me to separate different tasks into different files. This also allows for different formating and staff sizes for the parts and score, which is almost always desirable.

Just make sure that any files that refer to each other are located in the same directory.

Hope this helps,

Dave

chip wrote:
I have written a conductors score that contains parts for 6 instruments, now how do I print the individual instruments sheet music? I can't find this info in the manuals.