Re: emacs-mode

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: emacs-mode
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:50:42 +0100

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 01:08:48AM +0100, Dieter Grollmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After some years I'm back using LilyPond. Program and documentation
> have improved immensely since then (version 1.2.x or 1.4.x). Thank
> you very much!

Do I know your name from the Mup mailing list ?

Let's compare Lilypond and Mup. I have been using Mup for some years
now, and will continue using it. But I'm now learning to use Lilypond
also and I like it very much.

At first sight Lilypond code is much more complex and difficult to
understand for a first time user. The difficult (but also very flexible)
part is how to set up the staffs and systems needed for a combination of
instruments and/or vocal parts. But once this framework is put in place,
I feel that entering notes in Lilypond is faster than in mup. And if
create templates for combinations that I need often, I only have to do
this hardwork once.

Both Lilypond and Mup have their advantages and disadvantages.
A very quick personal impression:

Mup:

+ easier to build from sources and low requirements. I have even built a
working version for my good old Atari Falcon and compatible computers
running FreeMiNT OS.

+ smaller and simple program package. One simple binary is
all you really need.

+ New scores are easier to set up than with Lily.

+ Piano centered dynamics are MUCH easier in Mup.

+ Printing individual parts from scores can be done easily with
commandline switches.

- Sources are available, but Mup is Shareware. Development is done not by
the community, but by two (very nice and capable) guys from Arkkra
Systems. No CVS or SVN open development system. This makes me worry
about the future.

Lilypond:

+ Power. Lilypond can do almost anything. The few things that I couldn't
do with Mup (yet) are possible with Lily.

+ Beautiful score output. Not that Mup is bad, not at all, but Lily is
even better.

+ Free, Open Source project. Future improvement aand development
guranteed, as long as people are willing to help.

+ More traffic in the lilypond mailing lists than in the Mup mailing
list. This makes me assume that there are more people using Lilypond
than Mup.

+ Better support by third party projects: NoteEdit had limited mup
support (It used a fileformat (*.not) for saving that was similar to the
Mup format). And I think Rosegarden can export mup. Lilypond is
supported by Rosegarden, NtEd, NoteEdit, Canorus, Denemo, and there are
powerful extensions available for editors like jedit, emacs, vim, and
kate. Complete with point-and-click features in the PDF output to easily
jump to the corresponding location in the source file.

- Power has a price: The documentation is very good, but it is A LOT.
You must be willing to do a lot of studying to get the most out of
Lilypond.

My conclusion:
Mup is cheap, Lilypond is free, so why not have them both !

--

Martin Tarenskeen