Re: Discrepancy in documentation,

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: Discrepancy in documentation,
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:55:48 -0500

I think I'm having trouble understanding the syntax and what effect it has on the intervals LilyPond produces. When I see "m5" for example, my mind tells me "minor 5th" which is unlikely of course. In Western music, 5ths are either perfect, augmented or diminished.

With that being said, I'll assume that "m5" means "minor 3rd, perfect fifth" which is what I see it corresponding to in the music.

Now, about the chord qualities and naming conventions, this is what I see:

  1. c:maj7m5 produces a minor triad with a major 7th, written
     "Cm(maj7)" in my experience.
  2. c:m5maj7 prints a minor seventh chord, usually written "Cm7".
     There is nothing major about that second chord, so I think that
     syntax is wholly confusing. Should it be "c:m5m7" which produces
     that result?
  3. c:dim5m7 produces a minor seventh flat fifth chord, sometimes
     termed "half-diminished" and usually written "Cm7b5" (where the
     flat symbol is substituted for the 'b'). Sometimes, this chord is
     written with 'C' followed by the degree symbol with a little slash
     through it.
  4. c:m7dim5 produces a chord that I don't think there is a common
     name for--a minor triad with a diminished 7th. With my editor cap
     on, I'd write this as "Cm(addb7)"

is there really a difference between a minor triad with added major 7th or a major 7th with a minor triad?

That depends on how it's understood by the person you're telling it to. When most pop/rock/jazz musicians hear 'major 7th' (when talking chords), they will play a major triad with a major 7th. The chord Cmaj7 and every 'maj' chord that comes after (i.e. maj9, maj11, maj13) takes the major triad to be understood. Cmaj9 takes the major triad and major 7th to be understood, and so forth.

Now if you say "major 7th with a minor triad," I suppose some could take that to mean play a 'maj7' chord *and* a minor triad, giving the notes C, E-flat, E-natural, G and B (although, any chord with an E-flat and E-natural, the E-flat is usually shown as a D-sharp, which would be called a 'sharp ninth'. For example the E7#9 chord of "Purple Haze" fame: E, G-sharp, D and F-double-sharp).

I hope this makes things more clear instead of more confusing.

Dave

Simon Bailey wrote:
hi,