Re: confused newbie, choirstaff with single line of lyrics desired

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: confused newbie, choirstaff with single line of lyrics desired
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:51:21 -0700

On 12/16/08 10:28 AM, "Danalute" <address@hidden> wrote:

> like this?
>
>>  \score {
>>       \new ChoirStaff <<
>>         \music
>>           \new Staff  <<  \S  \\  \A  >>

>              \new Lyrics \lyricsto "1"  \lyricmode { Caput a pri defero ...
> }
>
> %  "1" associates by position with \S  ?

Yes, there's an invisible shortcut here.

<< .. \\ .. >>  creates two new Voices.  The first voice has the name "1",
and gets the music expression before the \\, and the second voice has the
name "2", and gets the music expression after the \\.  You can read about
this in the notation reference, section 1.5, under Multiple Voices,
single-staff polyphony, the double backslash construct.

For complicated pieces like you are doing, I wouldn't use the  << \\ >>
construct.  Instead, I deliberately create all the voices.

>>            \new Staff { \clef bass <<  \T  \\  \B  >> }
>>>>
>>     }
>
> You also show the music in the two  \ new Staff  statements, instead of my
> \parallelMusic, TY Francisco, the tutorial is not bad, but kinda skimpy on
> alternate ways to do things.

I don't *ever* use \parallelMusic.  Maybe I should, but I don't like the way
it works.

The tutorial gets you started.  The details on alternate ways to do things
are found in the Notation Reference.  Once you have read and understood the
Learning Manual, then you go to the Notation Reference to see how to do the
specific thing you want to do.

My preferred way to write something like you are proposing is as follows:

soloNotes = \relative c'{
 ... solo notes go here
}

sopranoNotes = \relative c'{
  ... soprano notes go here ...
}

altoNotes = \relative c'{
  ... alto notes go here
}

tenorNotes = \relative c' {
  ... tenor notes go here
}

bassNotes = \relative c {
 ... bass notes go here
}

soloLyrics = \lyricmode {
  ... solo lyrics go here
}

verseOne = \lyricmode {
   verse 1 lyrics go here
}
 verseTwo = \lyricmode {
  verse 2 lyrics go here
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
       \new Voice = "solo" {
          \soloNotes
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "solo" {
      \soloLyrics
    }

  \new Choir Staff <<
    \new Staff = "upper" {
      \clef treble
      <<
        \new Voice = "soprano" { \sopranoNotes }
        \new Voice = "alto" { \altoNotes }

    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano" {verseOne}
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano" {verseTwo}
    \new Staff = "lower" {
       \clef bass
       <<
         \new Voice = "tenor" { \tenorNotes }
         \new Voice = "bass" { \bassNotes }

This is lots more typing, for a piece with no notes, but for real music it's
not much more.  And by making the structure explicit, I have less trouble
figuring it out.

These kinds of templates are available in the Learning Manual, appendix A,
or in the LilyPond Snippet Repository.

HTH,

Carl