Re: why is Dutch the default language for note-entry?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: why is Dutch the default language for note-entry?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:45:01 -0000

Francisco Vila wrote Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:54 AM

2008/12/17 Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) <address@hidden>:

Very strange for me. Isn't it disturbing to use the same syllable for
different words? Actually for me it is especially strange because of
Hungary's strong use of Kodály's solmization method, where this melody would be sung as "la la si la so fi so" (independently of the absolute pitch), so
actually the "la la sol la sol fa sol" would really mean "a a g a g f g".

You have movable do, we have unaltered names for solfege. A matter of
tradition and language.

Do English-speaking people read music saying "g sharp f sharp" all the time?

Depends on the context.  References to individual notes would
use "g sharp", as in "Make sure the g sharp in bar 23 is given
its full value".  When sight-singing a new piece we would usually
use 'la' throughout but some singers still use the tonic sol fa
system, with a moveable doh.  Not so many now though.

Trevor