Re: workaround: keeping piano staves alive together in a RemoveEmptyStaf

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: workaround: keeping piano staves alive together in a RemoveEmptyStaffContext
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:56:57 -0600

Valentin Villenave wrote:
2008/12/17 Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:
HTH!

show = { \set Staff.keepAliveInterfaces = #'(

Hmm... No, this doesn't help. I have a 450-pages score with a somewhat
complex piano part (cross-staff voices, internal polyphony etc) and I
can't check every system one by one. The very reason why I have given
up using your trick is because i need something automatic.

But thanks :-)

Cheers,
Valentin

I tried something that seems to work, but it could require a lot of work for a score as big as yours. It might be similar to your ghosting of a voice but it's hard for me to tell.

What I did was for a passage with whole-measure rests I created another voice with hidden notes, so that your "three" looks like this:

three = { \clef bass
  \repeat unfold 4 { a4 b c' d'} \break
  << { \oneVoice R1*3 R1  } \\ { \hideNotes c1*4 } >> \break
  R1*4 \break
  a1
}

The \oneVoice command keeps the rests on the right staffline, and using \hideNotes instead of skips keeps the staff alive. If this works the way you want, then maybe there's a way to create some other function that will find passages with R1 in them and create an extra voice with the hidden notes. That's beyond my ability though. :)

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com