Re: GPF with 2.12

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: GPF with 2.12
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:56:07 +0000

2008/12/29 Stefan Waler <address@hidden>:

> What I did is copying more or less the content of the incipit snippet (which
> has always been regarded as "best practice" since some - me included - have
> elaborated and documented this approach about one year ago).
> Here is what I found there, if there is room for improvement please let us
> know:

Following the course of the discussion from last year, I see that it
was recommended to move the engraver due to a bug which had been
reported in March 2007; this caused a strange effect with repeat
barlines when using Lyrics within a StaffGroup.  Since this bug has
been fixed, I think it's advisable to follow the guidelines in the
docs, i.e. move the Separating_line_group_engraver to the Lyrics
context if necessary.

I haven't really studied what's going on in the engraver, but judging
how it's used within the default contexts, I think it's a good idea to
restrict its use to bottom-level or staff-level contexts.

> \layout {
>    \context {
>      \Score
>      %% no bar lines in staves
>      \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t
>    }
>    %% the next three instructions keep the lyrics between the bar lines
>    \context {
>      \Lyrics
>      \consists "Bar_engraver"
>      \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t

This line is redundant (as is the similar override in \global), since
the Score override above covers this (though I can see why it was
originally included, since in 2.10.33 there seems to be a bug whereby
the Score override doesn't descend to the Lyrics context.

I'll make these suggested changes to the snippets shortly.

Regards,
Neil