Re: ANN: MIDI input plugin for jEdit

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: ANN: MIDI input plugin for jEdit
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 07:36:45 -0500

>>>>> "Grammostola" == Grammostola Rosea <address@hidden> writes:

    Grammostola> So, do you use a midi keyboard for score editing with
    Grammostola> Lilypond? What is a cheap midi keyboard which works
    Grammostola> well on Linux?

I have an M-Audio Keystation 49B.  It's a USB keyboard, meaning that
there isn't a synthesizer included; you have to use one in your
computer.  I forget how much it cost 2 years ago or so, but I'm sure
it was under $100.  It's also very lightweight, although of course if
you're thinking about using it for a gig you have to add the weight of
the computer or other sythesizer device.  If you can live with fewer
than 4 octaves, there are even cheaper models.

Saying that anything to do with sound works well on Linux is a bit of
an exaggeration, but it's recognized out-of-the-box on Ubuntu as a MIDI
input device.

You can read about my current set of problems on the post I made
yesterday titled "midi keyboard input".

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

All animals are strictly dry:
They sinless live and swiftly die;
But sinful, ginful, run-soaked men
Survive for three score years and ten.
And some of them, a very few,
Stay pickled till they're 92.

ANON, quoted in Arnold Silcock's _Verse and Worse_