Re: orchestral template problem - just a question about it

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: orchestral template problem - just a question about it
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 17:36:16 +0100

2009/1/1 corallina <address@hidden>:
> I was interested in the orchestral template that was posted by Hu Haipeng
> and after minor fixes to get it to compile was wondering can someone
> address these questions.
>
> lilypond takes the input file and shoves it all into a single page
> which is blah.

I'm not sure what else are you looking for, this is correct.

> I would like to fiddle with the template but am wondering how to decide
> where to page break.

Music notation is bi-dimensional, it has simultaneous notes in the
vertical axis and sequential notes in the horizontal axis. Break
staves anywhere you like using \break and pages using \pageBreak.

>  What is the paper size for a "real" conductors book.

It depends on the size of the orchestral score. Big staves could go up to A3.

> Are different groups of like instruments all on a single page,
> strings, woodwinds,
> percussion?

I've never seen a conductor full score that does not have absolutely
everything on a single page. How else could it be read?

> I loaded the ps file into gv and tried some different paper sizes and was able
> to view bits of the file.

You need to reduce the size of the staves, eg with
#(set-global-staff-size 14)
standard is 20.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)