Re: \set Score.skipTypesetting = ##t results in unexpected error

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: \set Score.skipTypesetting = ##t results in unexpected error
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:49:43 -0700

Chip,

I don't have enough of a score to be sure, so I'm out on a limb in my
explanation.

On 1/7/09 8:23 AM, "chip" <address@hidden> wrote:

> According to the NR 3.4.2 I can use
>
> \set Score.skipTypesetting = ##t
>

> anyplace in my score to have the interpreter ignore a section of code to
> speed up the process. When i do this I get an 'syntax error: unexpected
> \set' error. I am using 2.12.1.
> --
> Chip
>

> **snipped**
>   << \trptb >>

> }
> \set \Score.skipTypesetting = ##t
> % ------ Alto Sax 1------
> alto = \transpose c a \relative c' {
> **snipped**
>   << \bonetreble >>
> }
> \set \Score.skipTypesetting = ##f

It looks like this \set is taking place outside of a
score context, which is why I would guess you're getting the error.

> \book { \score {
>   <<
> **snipped**

On an unrelated question, why do you have only one part (e.g. \trptb,
\bonetreble) in a <<  >> context?  Ordinarily you'd have two or more parts
in that parallel construct.

When you want some help on something like this, it's generally best
if you can give a complete, compilable piece of LilyPond input.  So you'd
snip the individual parts down, but keep the structure complete.  That way
we can see everything you've done, so we can better troubleshoot things.

Thanks,

Carl