Re: Translating the Music Glossary (Was: Newbie question: tie between a

From: Kurt Kroon
Subject: Re: Translating the Music Glossary (Was: Newbie question: tie between a and b)
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 23:00:23 -0800

On 2009/01/05 3:02 AM, "Zoltan Selyem" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi

I'm Kurt: I maintain the Glossary.

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>> I'm afraid that the Music Glossary included in the LilyPond
>> documentation does not yet include Hungarian, perhaps you would
>> be interested in helping out with that?

I didn't anticipate adding Hungarian for a (potentially long) time.

> I'm interested in helping with including Hungarian terms in the
> Music Glossary! Though I'm not sure how much time I will have
> for it, but I certainly would like to be part of that work.

Here's how much work you can count on:

* There are 326 terms -- about 30 just redirect to the "standard" term.

* I sometimes add more -- sometimes, the folks who are working on the
documentation ask me to add terms.  I decide whether the term merits
inclusion (or not) ... or if it should just be a redirect to an existing
term.

* There is a table that lists note duration names from longa (quadruple
whole note and its rest counterpart) to two-hundred-fifty-sixth note (and
rest)

* There is another table of pitch names from c to b (h, if you're German or
Scandinavian) with all sharp and flat variants (including enharmonics, like
e-sharp = f and f-flat = e)

* If possible, provide a bibliographical reference to a reputable Hungarian
music reference.  For comparison, please see the list of current references
at the end of the Glossary, in the section titled "Literature Used":
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/music-glossary/Pitch-names#
Literature-used

* Translators only translate terms -- entries are not currently provided in
other languages.

> The question is:
> Where and in what format should I send the Hungarian terms?

If I accept your offer, you would send them directly to me ... but I haven't
decided whether to accept your offer.

> I suppose the Music Glossary is made with lilypond-book.

No: it is made with texinfo and texi2html (customized).

> Is the source file available?

Yes -- but as the designated Glossary maintainer, I'm responsible for
preparing and submitting *all* glossary updates.

Regards,
Kurt