RE: Hairpin #'minimum-length doesn't work if hairpin preceded by dynamic

From: Nick Payne
Subject: RE: Hairpin #'minimum-length doesn't work if hairpin preceded by dynamicmarking
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:54:30 +1100

Yes, I discovered that shortly after sending my message. I should have tried a
few other values for the length first and it would have been apparent. However,
it seems rather undesirable behaviour from the point of view of leading to
unattractive output without manual overriding of some sort, plus when I ask a
program to make a certain element X units long I don't expect it to decide to
include the preceding element when calculating the length.

> The following change works better (with the missing
> back slashes added), although the pp still shortens the hairpin.
>
>  \relative c'' {
>    \override Hairpin #'minimum-length = #5
>    c8\< c\! c\> c\!
>    c8\pp\< c\! c\> c\!
>  }

The problem with separating the markings for the crescendo and decrescendo
hairpins is that they then won't line up horizontally if the pitch changes (eg
c8\< d\! g\> a\!).

> The following workround might suit you better, as the
> dynamic is now detached from the hairpin:
>
>  \relative c'' {
>    \override Hairpin #'minimum-length = #5
>    c8\< c\! c\> c8*1/2\! s16\pp
>    c8\< c\! c\> c\!
>  }

That works, but requires moving the pp if it falls at the beginning of a bar -
add \time 2/4 to the example and it ends up in no mans land.

What I did eventually was to globally set \override Hairpin #'minimum-length =
#5 and then add \once\override Hairpin #'minimum-length = #8 at the ten or so
places where a dynamic marking was leading to a short stubby hairpin.

Nick