Re: Chord notation in files output by Rosegarden

From: Lorenzo Bicci
Subject: Re: Chord notation in files output by Rosegarden
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:43:41 +0100

First of all, thanks a lot for your help!

Il giorno mar, 20/01/2009 alle 08.41 -0700, Carl D. Sorensen ha scritto:

> > The problem is I couldn't find in Lilypond's documentation the
> symbols
> > for:
> > - No Chords.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by No Chords. And I don't know Rosegarden
> at
> all. So take this for what it's worth.
>
> In your Rosegarden output (the .ly file that Rosegarden creates), you
> can
> just delete the chord symbol (e.g., ees4*0:m), and that will eliminate
> chord name. This works only because the way Rosegarden sets up the
> chord
> names they have a zero duration (4*0 = 0).

There is no No Chords symbol or function in Rosegarden. I'm referring to
the use of "N.C." or "NC" to mean that instruments that are playing
chords must stop playing chords, which i've seen especially in pop
music. Of course a "N.C." markup could be put in as text, but it would
be more confortable and logical having the possibility to put it among
the chords in the chords section of the .ly file.
(Sorry for my bad English, I hope it was clear anyway :) )

> Now, for the last bit of advice I have.
>
> If you're needing to mess around with the Rosegarden output to get a .ly
> file that you like, I'd recommend that you eliminate the use of Rosegarden
> and just learn to write your own .ly files directly.  You'll be able to make
> simpler, easier to understand .ly files, and you'll have one less step to go
> through.

Unfortunately, as the work i'm doing is part of a distributed work, that
is not possible. I should ask all the other people to learn Lilypond
language, which is very time consuming. Lilypond is a great tool, I just
hope Rosegarden will reach a better interoperativity with it, especially
for chords, lyrics and other minor notation issues. The whole open
source music community would have a great advantage from it.

Thanks again.

Bye,

Lorenzo