Re: Slurs in lyrics

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Slurs in lyrics
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:17:31 +0100

Here's one possibility. Since you can redefine contexts, you can add the slur engraver to the Lyrics context. However, it turns out that slurs need to be attached to note heads, so there are a couple of other engravers that have to be added as well. Then, you can add the slurs attached to a line of
dummy notes.

\version "2.12.0"
\layout{
 \context {
   \Lyrics
   \consists "Note_heads_engraver"
   \consists "Slur_engraver"
   \consists "Rhythmic_column_engraver"
   \consists "Pitch_squash_engraver"
   \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t
   squashedPosition = #2
   % For slurs above the text, use the following line
%    \override Slur #'direction = #UP

\new Lyrics <<
 % The actual lyrics:
 \lyricmode{ Here's the ly -- rics }
 % The slurs, attached to dummy notes
 { c2 c4 ( c ) }

  /Mats

Chris Snyder wrote:
I'm engraving a piece where I'd like to put dotted slurs directly in the
lyrics to instruct the singers to carry the note. I know there are other
ways to indicate this (such as dotted slurs over the notes, which is
what I've settled with currently), but I'd like to put the slurs over
the lyrics if possible.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? My hunch is that there isn't a way
to do it without modifying the code, but I figured I'd check first. Thanks.

-Chris

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering