Re: Margins

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Margins
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:39:58 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes
2009/4/15 Anthony W. Youngman <address@hidden>:
Just like a page has a top and bottom margin, and your usable area is
usually what's left (but may lose some to a header and/or footer space), so
from left to right you normally have left and right margin with usable area
being what's left, you sometimes lose some of that to the binding margin.

I'll use American sizes for easy maths, but lets say you have a 1/2" binding
margin, that leaves you with an 8" wide page. If you now have 1/2" left and
right margins that leaves you with 7" of usable space. And you'd spec that
as '1/2" left and right, and 1/2" binding margins'. That says everything
that needs to be said.

This is only true if you could set a negative binding margin, and even
in this case you could encounter problems with the paper size.
Otherwise, how would you specify big outer margins for a book?

Umm. I'd never met that. Bearing in mind other people have said the same thing, it seems to be a common enough requirement, though I can't see why.

But to specify outer margins, I'd simply declare a binding margin but place it on the other side of the page.

See JPG for an example of outer margins greater than inner margins
that would need both a negative binding and a virtual page size which
I don't know how to deal with. Maybe you can offer a solution for
this, which I still don't see.

Someone else will have to code it, but the obvious solution to me then seems to be a "binding" option. The snag at the moment is we don't have a right margin, but we could define "left = inner for the right hand page", and then if binding is on we swap the margins over for left hand pages. One of the options for binding would be to say whether odd or even pages are on the right (by default, it's odd, but we can't assume that's always true :-)

In LaTeX you can specify an oneside or twoside option that lets you
easily handle both cases.

I don't know LaTeX, but is my option pretty much the same?

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden