Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid

From: MonAmiPierrot
Subject: Re: Slur / phrasingSlur half dashed, half solid
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:43:48 -0700 (PDT)

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> 2. Will the transition always be in the middle, or would it be preferable
> define the transition point (e.g. 3/4 dashed, 1/4 solid).

Actually, I found out that the "editorial" dashed slur is used in a very
"simple" manner in critical editions score: "dashed" part may begin and end
in every point of the slur.  It is possible to find a in-middle dashed slur
when transcribing a manuscript fragment in which the composer wrote just the
beginning and the end of the slur.
I know it could be a programming hell, but the best thing (for THIS very
need) would be to "change-in-the-fly" the type of slur by using the
\slurDashed and \slurSolid in the exact point it should change its
appearance, for example:

... c ( d e \slurDashed f g \slurSolid a b c ) ...

would result that between "e" and "g" the slur is dashed.
This would be conceptually perfect for the needs of critical editions, but
as I said, it may be an hell to program, I don't know.

1 more thing: I hacked Marks code to represent half-dashed \phrasingSlur
(which is actually the ones I use), but I had to clone all the code. Could
you write it in a briefer and wisier way  (yours) ?
Thanks

Piero

-----
Piero Faustini, PhD student
Dipartimento di Scienze Storiche
Sezione musicologia
Università di Ferrara

Main Software used:

- LyX 1.6.1 on WinXP sp3; EndNote & JabRef
- MikTex
- LaTeX class: Koma book
- Lilypond 2.12 for example excerpts
- BibLaTeX for bibliographies