Re: Bracketed notes

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Bracketed notes
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 22:03:53 +0200

Am Montag, 4. Mai 2009 17:28:54 schrieb Jonathan Kulp:
> Mark Austin wrote:
> > Is it possible to enclose a note in brackets? I need to do this to
> > indicate a lead note played the first time but not on subsequent
> > repeats.
>
> In a thread a while back we came up with a way to put brackets (not
> parentheses) around a rest.  You could try it with your lead note, too:

Another possibility is to hook into the way \parenthesize formats the
parentheses: It obtains stencils for the opening and closing parentheses, so
one was is to simply override them with opening and closing brackets. See the
attached snippet, which defines a \bracketify command, which can be used almost
like \parenthesize (bracketing individual notes of a chord doesn't work due to
my use of \once\override inside the function).

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886