Re: partcombine/instrumentName problem

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: partcombine/instrumentName problem
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:08:06 +0200

I don't know enough about \partcombine to tell you why, but if you use the \new Staff \with { instrumentName = Bassoon }, you should get what you want. At least, I got it, but I curiously got two scores with the following code:
\score {
   \new Staff \with {
         printPartCombineTexts = ##f
         midiInstrument = "bassoon"
         instrumentName = "Bassoon"
         shortInstrumentName = "Bass."
      } << \partcombine \bassoonOne \bassoonTwo >>
}

And, can someone explain why this score block produces a midi file?