Re: Notation Editor with MIDI

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Notation Editor with MIDI
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:22:16 +0200

Op woensdag 10-06-2009 om 08:09 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Helge
Kruse:

> I would install ubuntu x.xx when

You may want to give some of these programs another try.  For
example,

    apt-get install skype

works fine [but it is not open source, of course, so you get
the same crap as on other platforms.]

>  you have ported i.e.

"you" have ported?

Let me give you a reality check.  Open Source is not about
making others run for you without paying them; it is about
being able to solve your own problems, without depending on
a proprietary software vendor.

So, your options are

  * ask/pay your favourite proprietary software vendor
    to provide a version for linux
  * try running the PC version using WINE
  * find an alternative program for the task at hand.
    more often than not, several --sometimes much better--
    open source alternatives are available.  But if you
    do not care to look, you can go on paying for crappy
    software.
  * avoid using proprietary software; if you depend on
    a company, say Nokia, who offers only proprietary
    windows versions of software you need, buy a different
    brand of cell phone next time, and let Nokia know
    you're doing this.

>   Platform Builder 6.0

This is a joke right?  I never heard of this thing but
google says

    About Platform Builder
    Microsoft® Platform Builder is an integrated development
    environment (IDE) for building customized embedded platforms
    based on the Microsoft Windows® CE .NET operating system (OS).

didn't you read the memo, mobile is going Linux ;-)

>   The Nokia PC Suite
>   Skype

> to ubuntu. Please keep in mind: Despite Lilypond is a great software, a
> lot of readers

Please speak for yourself...

>  use the PC also for other tasks than generating fine
> scores or MIDI files.

...you don't know that!

Jan.

Avatar®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org