Re: trills and trill spanners with accidentals

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: trills and trill spanners with accidentals
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:53:07 -0700 (PDT)

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> I'm looking for an easy and general way to add a flat sign to
> the "tr" of a \trill and of a trill spanner. In particular, I'd
> need to define two articulations \flatTrill and \sharpTrill that
> generates an articulation with "b tr" and with "# tr". And then
> I need the same for trill spanners, i.e. \startFlatTrillSpan and
> \startSharpTrillSpan that procude trill spanners with "b tr" and
> "# tr" texts. The example in the LSr doesn't seem to work any
> more with 2.13, and the NR is completely quiet on this issue :(

Shouldn't the accidental go to the right (and a little above) the
"tr"? Besides, it would be better to make a generic function,
like \alteredTrill #1/2 where the number argument would be the
pitch alteration value, so that all accidentals (including
naturals and quarter-tones) could be represented. Ideally, two
properties could be defined (maybe with better names than these),

parenthesize-alteration? (default = #f)
alteration-placement
  (with choices like top bottom left right top-right top-left ...)
  (default = 'top-right)

...or something like that.

See Kurt Stone pp.75-77 for examples.

***********************

second thought...

why not just extend the functionality of \pitchedTrill with
tunable context properties?
\set pitchedTrillStyle = #'note (or 'accidental)

or

\set pitchedTrillOnStaff = ##f

or something. I'd still want to have the choice to parenthesize
and position the accidental as above. But I think commands like
\startFlatTrillSpan are too specific and unwieldly.

That said, it's a great idea, one that I've often wished for.

- Mark