Re: Petrucci-like spacing?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Petrucci-like spacing?
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:55:47 -0400

    Carl> How about this?

    Carl> \relative c'' {
    Carl> \key f \major
    Carl> \cadenzaOn
    Carl> g1*1/4 bes1*1/4 a1*1/4 g1*1/4 g1.*1/6 c4 bes4 c1*1/4
    Carl> }

    Carl> I think that gets rid of the extra space.

    Laura> Yes, it does.

    Laura> As I remember it there are some disadvantages to telling Lily
    Laura> to not think about bars, even if you don't want them printed,
    Laura> but I think you can deal with them.

Now that I've done the whole tenor part, it comes back to me why nobody
uses \cadenzaOn as a way to get unbarred music.  It doesn't by default
do any linebreaking.  So you can put in "\set Score.barAlways = ##t",
but when I did that in this particular piece, it broke a dotted rhythm.
They actually did print that way in the sixteenth century, but nobody I
know in the twentyfirst century wants to read something printed that
way.  So you're only going to do this in situations where you don't mind
doing the line breaking manually.

I posted the result of this on my blog as Lilypond vs. Petrucci, round
3. <http://laymusic.org/wordpress/?p=1079>.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who
make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the
mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the
spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

St. Augustine, De Genesi ad Litteram, Book II, xviii, 37