Re: new website: draft 3

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: new website: draft 3
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 23:23:55 -0700

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 08:19:01AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > I think we should just add a discussion about common errors in LM
> > 5.2 (also, make sure you include the highly cryptic error message
> > when you forget a }  ).
>
> I just wonder whether this cryptic error message can be improved, for
> example, by adding a note for the user to check the existence of the
> closing brace.  Unfortunately, I don't know enough about guile stuff
> to answer whether this is possible at all.

That was the point of my "canary" comment.  It was a bit
cryptic... one way of guarding againsty stack-smashing (memory)
attacks is by adding a special marker at the end of memory.  If
that marker ever gets modified, then you know that something
altered memory that shouldn't have been altered, so there's either
a serious bug or a hostile attack.

ok, granted, the ability to modify memory that you shouldn't be
able to modify is itself a serious bug.  But you get the point.
:)

The "meow... yum" comment was about a cat eating the canary, since
I like cats.

This would be a fantasic job for a Frog, BTW.

Cheers,
- Graham