Re: spanner question

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: spanner question
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:48:42 -0400

Thanks, Nick.

I'll fiddle with it some and see how it works for me.

David

Nick Payne wrote:
Here's the function I use for indicating harmonics:

%===========================================================================
==========
harmonics = #(define-music-function (parser location text osp shorten
adjBreak adjEnd) (string? number? pair? number? number?) #{
        % osp can be normally be set to zero unless you need to resolve a
collision
        \once \override TextSpanner #'outside-staff-priority = #$osp
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = \markup
{ \teeny $text }
        % setup dashed line and draw a bracket edge on RHS
        \once \override TextSpanner #'dash-period = #1.5
        \once \override TextSpanner #'dash-fraction = #0.6
        \once \override TextSpanner #'thickness = #0.8
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'text = \markup
{ \draw-line #'(0 . -0.5) }
        % set alignment of line with reference to left text
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left
#'stencil-align-dir-y = #CENTER
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'padding = #(car
$shorten)
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'padding =
#(cdr $shorten)
        % allow adjustment of line end when it wraps to following stave
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right-broken #'padding
= #$adjEnd
        % adjust LH end of line when it wraps to following stave so that it
doesn't
        % extend to the left of the notes on the stave
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left-broken #'X =
#$adjBreak
        % optional override to remove text and bracket edge at line breaks
%       \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left-broken #'text =
##f
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right-broken #'text =
##f
#})
%===========================================================================
==========

Here is its actual use in a score:

%==================================================
        \override NoteHead #'style = #'harmonic-mixed
        \harmonics "harm. 8va " #0 #'(0 . -1.5) #5 #1
        e,4\startTextSpan\ppp\< fs4. gs8 |
        a4\> g4. f8\! |
        e4\< fs4. gs8\! |
        b4 d4.\sf c8 |
        b4\p\> a4. g8\! |
        e4\< d4. c8 |
        fs4\pp\> e4. d8 |
        c4 as4. c8\! |
        \once\override Hairpin #'minimum-length = #8
        b4\pp\stopTextSpan\<
        \revert NoteHead #'style fs''4.\> b,8\! |

Nick